COLUMBUS – State Representative Tom Young (R-Washington Twp. announced that Driscoll Elementary and Weller Elementary in Montgomery County have been inducted to the Purple Star Award Class of 2021 earlier this week.
“I want to thank Driscoll Elementary and Weller Elementary on their commitment to supporting these brave families and honoring our nation’s service men and women,” said Young. “Congratulations to both of these schools for receiving this award. I greatly appreciate all you have done to recognize the importance of our nation’s military and their families.”
The Purple Star Award recognizes schools that show a major commitment to students and families connected to our nation’s military. The Purple Star Advisory Board, formed by the Ohio departments of Education, Higher Education, Veterans Services and the Adjutant General, helps decide a school’s eligibility for the award.
To qualify, a school must complete all of the required activities, plus at least one of the optional activities below:
- The school must have a staff point of contact for military students and families who serves as the primary liaison between them and the school.
- The school maintains a dedicated page on its website featuring resources for military families.
- The school provides professional development for additional staff on special considerations for military students and families.
- The local school board passes a resolution publicizing the school’s support for military children and families.
- The school hosts a military recognition event that demonstrates a military-friendly culture.
Driscoll Elementary and Weller Elementary joined 21 other schools across in receiving a Purple Star Award.