Skip to main content
State Seal State Seal State Seal
Home Button Home Button Home Button

Rep. Jarrells to introduce legislation to create "Recovery is Beautiful" specialty license plate

September 30, 2021
Dontavius L. Jarrells News

COLUMBUS – State Rep. Dontavius Jarrells (D-Columbus) announced he will soon introduce legislation to establish the “Recovery is Beautiful” specialty license plate to provide individuals and families with hope and encouragement, as well as provide additional funding to expand recovery supports when individuals experience a mental health or substance abuse problem.

Currently, more than two million of Ohio's 11 million citizens experience some form of mental disorder, and only 47 percent of adults with mental illness in Ohio receive any form of treatment from either the public system or private providers. The remaining 53 percent receive no mental health treatment. According to Mental Health America, Ohio is ranked 26 out of the 50 states and Washington D.C. for providing access to mental health services. 

“With September designated as National Recovery Month, recovery is a journey we all should celebrate,” said Rep. Jarrells. “The truth is anyone can experience substance use disorder or have a mental health crisis. Those individuals can, and often do, achieve recovery. It's through the power of recovery that we empower voices, increase awareness, and eventually obliterate stigma.”

Proceeds from the recovery license plate sales will go into a fund designated to support recovery throughout Ohio. This fund would support organizations like the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) and Ohio Citizen Advocates for Addiction Recovery (OCAAR).