COLUMBUS – Today, Senate Minority Leader Kenny Yuko (D-Richmond Heights) and House Minority Leader Allison Russo (D-Upper Arlington) issued a joint Democratic response to Gov. DeWine’s State of the State speech. During the press conference, Democrats highlighted their plan to expand opportunity, invest in working people and families, and build an economy that works for everyone.
“Ohioans deserve to have a safe place to live and an equal chance to get ahead, no matter their zip code,” Leader Yuko said. “I’m proud of our work to create good-paying jobs, support child care and improve education while guiding Ohioans to the other side of the pandemic. As I wrap up my last year in the General Assembly, I will keep working to improve the quality of life for all workers and families in our state.”
Leader Russo and Leader Yuko highlighted several ways Democrats have already delivered results for Ohioans the past three years, including the American Rescue Plan to spur Ohio’s economic recovery and support working families, and the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law to rebuild Ohio’s infrastructure. Democrats also helped pass the Fair School Funding Plan, a longtime priority to invest in our students, and secured $210.98 million for public transit and $250 million for broadband development in underserved areas in the state’s last budgets.
“Democrats have a plan to build a better, stronger Ohio for all who live here. Our path forward would expand opportunity, grow good-paying jobs, and create an economy that works for everyone,” said Leader Russo. “We’re already delivering results for Ohioans, and we will continue to work with our colleagues across the aisle to tackle the real, everyday issues that affect Ohioans.”
Ohio Black Legislative Caucus (OLBC) president and House Assistant Minority Leader Thomas West (D-Canton) spoke about the ways Democrats are working to ensure equity, security and opportunity for all Ohioans.
“Ohio’s future looks bright with Intel, Honda, and other potential economic drivers investing in our state, but we know that too many families are still struggling to make ends meet. We must address workforce development and connect all families to the opportunities of tomorrow,” said Assistant Minority Leader West.
Democrats also outlined their priorities for the remainder on the 134th General Assembly, including:
- Continuing to stand with working people, to invest in our communities and grow good paying jobs that cut workers in on the deal and build an economy that works for all of us, not just those at the top
- Strengthening our democracy by enacting fair maps that best represent Ohioans and protecting the freedom to vote;
- Making healthcare affordable and accessible;
- Investing in working families by enacting paid family leave and expanding access to childcare;
- Implementing reforms that keep our families safe, ensure equal access to justice, and invest in community resources;
- Fixing the state’s broken unemployment system;
- Tackling corruption and restoring integrity to state government;
- Fully repealing HB 6 and preparing Ohio for a clean energy future;
- Reforming our state’s tax system so working people can get ahead.
**EDITOR’S NOTE: Watch the full Democratic response here.