COLUMBUS—House Democrats, led by Minority Leader Emilia Strong Sykes (D-Akron), today unveiled “Ohio House Democrats - Working for You,” a roll-call style video highlighting the fight to restore Ohio’s promise of better lives, better jobs and brighter futures during the 134th General Assembly (GA) and beyond. In the video, Democratic lawmakers outline initiatives to expand opportunity for working people and middle class families and to deliver a plan to combat the virus and get Ohioans back to work safely.
“Democrats are standing together to fight for you, the taxpayers who sent us here to get Ohio back on the right track,” said Leader Sykes. “Ohio’s promise is opportunity, and House Democrats are committed to renewing that promise with a bold vision for Ohio that invests in working people, families, and our state’s future.”
Democratic lawmakers highlighted the work they are doing this GA to expand the state’s promise of opportunity to all Ohioans, including:
· Controlling the virus and supporting small businesses;
· Investing in fair school funding and lowering the cost of higher education;
· Bringing fair districts back to Ohio;
· Standing with working people by passing paid family leave, protecting the right to unionize, raising wages, insisting on tax fairness and modernizing unemployment insurance;
· Making healthcare more affordable, protecting reproductive rights and lowering the cost of prescription drugs;
· Expanding broadband access;
· Protecting the right to vote and the environment for the next generation;
· Enacting the Ohio Fairness Act;
· Supporting older Ohioans to live and retire with safety and security;
· Repealing House Bill 6 and Stand Your Ground;
· Declaring racism a public health crisis.