COLUMBUS - Ohio House Speaker Bob Cupp (R-Lima) today was re-elected as Speaker as lawmakers convened the 134th General Assembly.
Also elected Monday was the GOP leadership team for the new General Assembly. Republicans have a 64-35 majority for the 2021-22 session, an increase of three seats.
In remarks following his election as Speaker, Cupp talked about public service, thoughtful discourse and the important role of the legislature in helping lead Ohio and serving Ohioans.
“Our work will not be measured merely in the number of bills and resolutions we pass but more broadly in the opportunities we expand, the rights we protect and the lives that improve because of our efforts,” he said.
Cupp will serve the full two-year term (2021-2022) for the 134th General Assembly.
Additionally, House Republicans swore in their leadership team for the next two years:
- Speaker Pro Tempore: Tim Ginter (R-Salem)
- Majority Floor Leader: Bill Seitz (R-Green Township)
- Assistant Majority Floor Leader: Rick Carfagna (R-Genoa Township)
- Majority Whip: Don Jones (R-Freeport)
- Assistant Majority Whip: Cindy Abrams (R-Harrison)
Today’s organizational session of the Ohio House marked the beginning of the 134th General Assembly.