Rep. Denson named Ranking Member of House Families, Aging, and Human Services Committee
COLUMBUS – Today, Rep. Sedrick Denson (D-Cincinnati) announced that he was appointed the Ranking Member of the House Families, Aging, and Human Services Committee. This standing committee was created to ensure Ohioans have access to needed human services and to improve the institutions that care for families and the elderly.
“It is an honor to be designated as Ranking Member of such an important committee. I will continue to fiercely advocate for the important essential social services that our constituents need and deserve, and I will work with the members of this legislature to make Ohio a place where everyone has the opportunity to be healthy and successful,” said Rep. Denson.
This year, the committee has passed several pieces of legislation to improve the health and safety of Ohioans, including Senate Bill (SB) 58, known as Esther’s Law, which will prevent elder abuse in long-term care facilities. SB 58 was signed into law by the governor earlier this year. Rep. Denson’s House Bill (HB) 371, which would increase access to mammograms for women, passed the House in November and awaits further consideration by the Ohio Senate . Much work remains as the committee will still have to consider many important pieces of legislation, such as:
· HB 142 (Crawley/Brinkman) Regards doula services
· HB 145 (Lightbody/White) Regards eligibility for publicly funded child care
· HB 402 (Boyd/Hicks-Hudson) Enact the Ohio Midwife Practice Act
· HB 409 (Boyd/Carruthers) Require patient or resident protection advisory boards
· HB 491 (Boyd/Russo) Establish family and medical leave insurance benefits