COLUMBUS—State Representative Laura Lanese (R-Grove City) had a busy and productive first term as State Representative of the 23rd Ohio House District. In addition to attending to her district of more than 135,000 residents, Representative Lanese served as vice chair for both the Civil and Criminal Justice Committees, as well as the Armed Services, Veterans Affairs, and Homeland Security Committee. She also served as a member of the Financial Institutions, Housing and Urban Development Committee, the Base Realignment and Closure (BRAC) Task Force, the Ohio Aerospace and Aviation Technology Committee, and the Correctional Institution Inspection Committee.
Representative Lanese was also active in sponsoring legislation to make better policy for the state of Ohio and Franklin County. She introduced sixteen bills, with six becoming law. She will continue to pursue passage of those issues, which include creating a cyber-security reserve force, the cross-reporting of child abuse and animal abuse, and the elimination of the spousal exemption in rape cases, among many other policy issues. The six bills that Lanese sponsored and passed in the previous General Assembly are as follows:
1. House Bill 174, adding two judges to the Franklin County Domestic Relations Division;
2. House Bill 202, designating the first Saturday in May as ‘Veterans Suicide Awareness Day;
3. House Bill 263, permitting dogs in restaurant outdoor dining areas;
4. House Bill 319 (added to SB 86), designating the shelter pet as Ohio’s official State pet;
5. House Bill 511, changing the age at which people can marry;
6. House Bill 522, allowing outdoor refreshment areas to include F permit holders;
Moving forward, Representative Lanese is ready to build on her successful first term. “I am excited for the opportunity to continue to serve the residents of Franklin County and the State of Ohio. We made significant progress for the people of Central Ohio and for the entire state in the 132nd General Assembly in the areas of the tackling the opioid epidemic, deregulating business, and reducing taxes. I look forward to building on those accomplishments by focusing on protecting victims of crime and abuse, serving our military personnel and veterans, and helping small businesses by further reducing taxes and unnecessary regulation in the 133rd General Assembly,” Lanese said. Additionally, Representative Lanese will continue her outreach to constituents with district office hours scheduled with Senator Stephanie Kunze:
- January 31, 2019 1:00-2:30 pm: Hilliard Library Meeting Room 1A (4500 Hickory Chase Way Hilliard, OH 43026)
- February 7, 2019 12:00-1:30 pm: Grove City Library (3959 Broadway Grove City, OH 43213)
- February 7, 2019 3:00-4:30 pm: Prairie Township Building Meeting Room (23 Maple Drive Columbus, Ohio 43228)
Lanese is now serving in her second term in the Ohio House of Representatives. She represents the 23rd Ohio House District, which includes Grove City, Jackson Township, Urbancrest, and portions of Hilliard, Norwich Township, Prairie Township, Franklin Township, and Columbus.